By some estimates, lighting is the third largest energy hog in your home. So how can you save on lighting? Try these tips:
- Turn off lights when not in use. This common sense technique can do wonders for your electricity bill, plus it will help keep rooms cooler in the summer.
- Use compact fluorescent (CFL), light-emitting diode (LED), or halogen bulbs. These bulbs can save up to 75% in electricity costs compared to regular incandescent bulbs and they last much longer.
- Look for the Energy Star® label on lighting products for a guarantee of energy efficiency.
- Unplug appliances after you’re done using them to reduce “phantom” electricity usage.
- Choose bulbs with a wattage that is appropriate for the job at hand or the mood you want to set. Certain parts of your home, such as hallways, don’t require bright lighting and can benefit from task lighting on targeted locations.
- Use dimmer switches to control the wattage used, especially in kitchens, bathrooms and dining rooms, where lighting usage is highest.
- Install several switches so you can light an area appropriately and restrict lighting to areas only as needed.
- Install motion detectors inside and out to illuminate areas only when appropriate.
- Use solar or low-voltage lighting on paths and walkways to reduce energy usage.
- Install skylights to grab as much natural light as possible.
- Put lights on timers.
- Use photo sensors to automatically turn lights on at night and off during the day (great for night lights).
- Use LEDs for Christmas and other holiday lights.
- Clean your windows and open the shades to maximize the light coming into your home.
- During home construction, position rooms to capture the sun at its most intense. In northern climates, southern exposure is brighter.
Bulb Direct offers an extensive variety of bulbs for all purposes… and our customer service reps are the best! Call Bulb Direct at 800-772-5267 to learn more about how we can help you save money.